Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

A mish-mash of sorts.

Well, it's official: the San Fransisco Chronicle has one of the oddest headline showing on GoogleNews that I've ever seen: Man Who Put Mom In Freezer Had Odd History. My goodness, I'm stunned! Here I thought that the type of man who'd keep his mother's remains in a freezer in the basement for two years was the nice, sane, normal type. I mean, who hasn't at least had that urge sometimes?

I've read about four articles on that so far, I guess hoping for more information or something. I know that it's one part purely morbid fascination, akin to the rubber-necking effect that you get at the scene of a car accident. It's gruesome but you can't help but look and watch. And I suppose I just have a (perhaps unhealthy) fascination with odd news stories. This one doesn't seem, at this point, horribly insidious. They're planning an autopsy, and the guy's claim is that his mother died naturally. This is a man who, according to the Chronicle article, once purchased $150 worth of Spam, at once. Now, I personally believe that $150 is far too much to pay on canned meat in a lifetime. The whole thing is just so strange.

Speaking of odd news, I absolutely despise Yahoo! News' new look. However, I tolerate it simply because 1) it's a nice place to get lots of Op/Ed pieces all in once place, and 2) it does a nice job of satiating my aforementioned inexplicable desire for weird headlines. Like this gem, about a herd of buffalo that got loose, and, eventually, were corralled in a tennis court in an affluent suburb.

In Maryland.

Because Maryland has so many buffalo, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home