Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Blog for Choice

Today is the 33rd anniversary of Roe v. Wade, which in my opinion is one of the most important Supreme Court decisions of all time. I consider this opinion justified by the fact that even today, over three decades later, people still do their best to fight it.

Personally I don't understand the debate about it. I suppose that the main issue is that a woman's life will be drastically altered by pregnancy. There may be medical considerations for both the woman and the fetus. There may be financial issues (prenatal care is expensive, to say nothing of actually, y'know, raising a child). Or, it could be as simple as: Oops, I messed up, the condom slipped, and I really don't want a kid.

It's highly discouraging to me that, in a nation which prides itself as being a bastion of democracy, an oasis of freedom in a less-than-ideal world and a defender of liberty, a large and vocal part of the population would like to limit women's rights and force them to be incubators for unwanted lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home