Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Paranoia every day

So, in a fit of some liberal emotion or another, I sent an e-mail the other day, to the TSA and some of their colleagues at the British Department for Transportation safety division. It was a bit wordy, so I won't post the entire thing here, but this was really my main point:
My question is this: If previously-benign items such as clear plastic bottles of water (a clear substance which, if potable, one can generaly see through) and magazines (thin, paper objects often too thin to conceal anything) have become so dangerously exploitable, what of the incoming stock for the many stores and shops within airport terminals?

I'm certain that, in the past, incoming shipments have been more closely scrutinized for stores within airports than they would otherwise. Certainly if one was determined enough to commit an act of terrorism, it would be fairy simple for them to plant someone within a shipping company, and use those commercial shipments going to the airport to smuggle dangerous devices in past the security checkpoints. In this current time of ultra-heightened security, though, I'm curious as to whether or not any extra steps have been taken?
Okay, perhaps not the most intelligent question ever asked, but I had to do something to express how idiotic I thought this was or my brain would liquify (and then I couldn't bring it on a plane!).

A few minutes later I got an automated response from the TSA:
Please do not respond to this automated response.

Your e-mail has been received by the Transportation Security Administration's (TSA) Contact Center. Our goal is to respond as quickly as possible. However, at times, high volumes sometimes delay our response. We appreciate your patience. You may also find the answer to your question on our web site at www.tsa.gov .

To ensure that you are able to receive a response from the TSA Contact Center, we recommend that Spam filters be disabled and that your email account have ample space to receive large files and/or attachments.
Okay, that's pretty much what I was expecting. I picked their "general questions and concerns" address, so, no surprise. I may even hear back from a real person, but I'm not going to be terribly upset or surprised if I don't.

Not quite twelve hours later, I got another blank email from the same automated address. Okay.

Then again, another auto response the next day. And the next. And...:

So. Yeah. I can understand a minor glitch where the auto response gets sent twice, but four times?

If I get it again tomorrow, I'm just going to go totally paranoid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home