Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Talkin' 'bout my generation

Take a look at this article about "boomerang kids" - college grads who then move back in with their parents.

It's probably not news to anyone who knows me that I think that's just stupid, but then again I'm of the idea that it's far better to be completely broke but independent rather than have a bit more saved up but relying on someone else to get there.

But, okay, I'm stupid and stubborn. Not news. Scroll down to the end of that article:

TAKE TEACHABLE MOMENTS. College grads may have aced their physics and linguistics exams, but most still need help with basic paycheck economics. Have meetings to discuss paycheck deductions like Social Security taxes. Help them decide how much to contribute to their 401(k) plan (as much as possible, especially if they aren't paying rent), and where to invest it. If you don't feel competent to be doling out all the advice, spring for one or two sessions with a financial planner who charges hourly fees.
Why do so many people seem to assume that people graduate college never having received a paycheck - implying that someone has made it to, what, 21 years of age without having a job? Even a job at Wendy's over summer break? Lifeguarding? Hell, babysitters get paid and have to pay taxes, right? I mean, I suppose there are people who can do that (ie, go through college without themselves working), but...I'd imagine that they're of a financial background where money's not really an issue.

I grant that the 401(k) thing is valid. I also grant that I'm pretty much a financial idiot and my knowledge there goes as far as "It's some sort of retirement savings plan thingy, usually offered as a benefit." But if you get a job offering that, wouldn't it come with some sort of literature explaining it? And presumably if you've 'aced your exams' though are apparently still a doofus, you know how to read, right?

It bugs the hell out of me when people automatically assume that everyone in my generation/everyone in the college age bracket is a helpless idiot who needs hand-holding.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home