Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Whoa

This is rather interesting: A district court has ruled that a public library in CA is well within the bounds of the law when they prohibit prayer and worship meetings in their meeting rooms.

On the one hand, I'm in favor of the judges decision, because the library isn't descriminiating against, say, a particular religion. They're just flat-out barring prayer. If a church group wants to hold a bake sale or something in the meeting room, go ahead. If they want to have their Easter service there: nope.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of banning any variety of speech or peacable assembly. If it were a private facility, then I wouldn't care, but since it's a public library, I'm a bit uncomfortable.

I'm willing to bet this goes on to a higher court, and I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home