Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Baffling headline...

Lawmakers pass roads, slavery bill.

The Virginia legislature talked about transportation, blah blah blah. And then they apologized for slavery.

Can I just point out that the majority of people in the VA legislature (hell, in any American legislature) are people who, a hundred years ago, would've been asking why the hell those colored folks would want to vote? And a hundred and fifty years ago, would've been asking what's so wrong with slavery anyway?

On the one hand: that's progress that they're actually apologizing. On the other hand - they're still the ones in the position of power. Hm.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 19:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to know why they apologized. It seems like there's some sort of residual guilt in most Americans regarding slavery. I don't feel guilty. Feeling guilty, in my eyes, is going backwards. "I'm sorry my ancestors enslaved your ancestors, and I'll be nice to you because of that, and not because of any merit you may have as a human being in your own right."

The way to defeat racism and move on is to stop acknowledging it, or at least stop acknowledging it in this manner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home