Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Campus security only works on-campus

Outrage du jour: college students who live off-campus aren't protected by campus security while living off campus.

My initial reaction was: Well, obviously. That's why most schools have campus security departments.

Then I thought: But I can sort of see the argument, I guess, because sometimes not everyone who wants to live on campus gets to. I almost didn't get on-campus housing this semester.

But, I'm not convinced. Once you graduate, know who's going to be responsible for your personal safety? You. When I was living in London, it didn't ever occur to me to hold the program that provided my visa responsible for finding me a safe place to live with an alarm system. It was mine to deal with.

Similarly - you're in college; grow up. If you're incredibly uncomfortable living where you are off-campus, move. If you for some reason can't, then maybe you should reconsider your choice in school. It's not the administration's responsibility to make sure you have a nice white picket fence to hide behind.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home