Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Google once again forces me to praise them

It's pretty ridiculous when there's such a huge ratio of "things I like about a huge corporation" to "things I dislike about same corporation". I'm speaking, of course, of Google. In the dislike column, there's that censorship bit most notable in China, and...I'm sure there are some other things. In the other column, there's pretty much everything else: their searches, e-mail, what they've done with Blogger, Google Books, Maps, and their breath-of-fresh-air approach to web design, amongst other things.

And now this, which is fairly impractical but really frickin awesome. It's only applicable to a few US cities so far, but basically, you can now get a street-level picture of many streets in those cities. I can now sit at my computer in New Mexico and 'walk' down the streets of Manhattan. It's somewhere between simply clicking through a series of static images and an actual animation. But it's fairly revolutionary, pretty useless, and - again - really awesome.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home