Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Here I shall make known the true depths of my geekitude

Around an hour and a half into the movie V for Vendetta, the two main police inspectors charged with hunting the terrorist meet with someone. There is a monologue nicely recapping a few decades of strife that England has endured; it's overlaid with a montage of various media clips reporting on these various disasters.

I once took a film class in which it was pointed out - as a complete aside and something I'm sure most people immediately forgot - that often, movies and TV shows will print up dummy newspapers as props. They don't want to bother, or simply can't get, the right to show an actual newspaper or what have you, so they'll make their own. If parts of text will be shown it more often than not will be random phrases interspersed with seemingly-relevant words. After all, very few movie watchers are depraved enough to get a copy on DVD and then pause when there's a clear close-up of a paper and read the articles.

The punchline, of course, is that I am one of the few who does this, and I admit somewhat compulsively. So, at 1:30:44 in V for Vendetta, there is a shot of a newspaper. The text of the visible article is taken, verbatim, from this special report on multiculturalism from The Guardian. It's entirely irrelevant to the current monologue (though, granted, not really the theme of the film), and I think the world must know this.

Now I'm going to finish the movie. I'm sure that the fact that I'm watching a movie, see a shot of a newspaper, and thus pause the movie, read what I can of the article, and Google it says about me, but I'm fairly certain it's not an affirmative statement.

Updated: The next shot (also of a newspaper) bears the same article under a different head and photo. That same shot has the same text, different head repeated in the left column. The far right column is text plucked from here: also a Guardian story, this one about Hull University closing it's math department. Curiously, the film plucks out the lede from both stories. Apparently someone in the props department for this movie was a Guardian reader, which just makes me like the movie even more. (OK, I'm going to watch a movie like a normal person now.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 22:50, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me what you think of the movie.

I thought as a movie it was okay, and that even the story was okay, but the numerous attempts to tie in the admittedly evil government with the current administration was pretty stupid. Plus, they went way, way overboard with the whole homosexuality thing.

I almost got the impression that the only bad thing about the totalitarian British government that V fought was that they hated "teh gayz."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home