Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Fun with money!

To my complete surprise, everything about my flights back to Santa Fe went smoothly. There was a real short line to check my bag in Philly, there was absolutely no problem going through security, and my plane was off the ground on time. I got to Atlanta, and barring a well-announced gate change, everything continued to go smoothly. The one problem was the lack of food. I had some hash browns and coffee in Philly. Delta gave me a little bag of chips on the plane. By Atlanta I was hungry but there wasn't anything palatable (ie, vegetarian and more substantial than ice cream) in the terminal I was in, so I bought a bag of trail mix at one of the little shops. En route to Albuquerque they gave me a granola bar. When I got to Albuquerque I scarfed down almost the entire bag of trail mix while waiting for the shuttle.

Things did not go quite as smoothly when I got back to campus. Something stupid I blame myself for is that I failed to prop open the door of my little fridge, and there was still some moisture in there, so...ew. Also, new policy apparently is to fill out a form declaring that you don't have a car, please don't give me a parking permit, which is a bit pointless. But no, the real fun was when I was doing the registration whatnot. I had to stop by career services and the treasurer's office before I could get my schedule. No idea why I had to check in about work-study; they just handed me a bit of paper saying I could get a job. Then I went to the treasurer's office, where they told me I owed the college $7,000 some dollars.

Uh. What? I do? I'm pretty certain I shouldn't, and that's quite a large sum of money.

So I call the parent types, as they deal with the large sums of money. They look at some scary financial records and discover that the college only sees one of my two loans. Guess how much it's for? Yup. Apparently, the bank sent a form to the financial aid office to verify that I was eligible for a student loan. Financial aid was then supposed to send it back to the loan company saying "Yes, she is a student here", and then the loan company would send the college about $7,000. Guess what financial aid failed to do?

So they told me it would be taken care of. I stop by work on Wednesday morning and say I still have some registration stuff to work out, hopefully I'd be back soon as I was hoping to avoid the lines of freshman.

"Okay, the second loan is showing up, but you still owe us two hundred dollars."

Argh. Another phone call to the parents. Easiest resolution at that point is for me to just write the college a check, after again standing in line. Finally, they gave me my schedule (which then raised other issues, but I've decided to let it be).

And that is that. Most of my room is still in boxes, because I've been tired/trying to convince the college I don't really owe them that much money/catching up with people/working. This weekend I hope to get everything straightened out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home