Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Book sale!

The library book sale was this weekend.  On Friday, they opened it up for the college community.  Today was bag day, three bucks for a bag.  All told, I got fifteen books for thirteen bucks.  Not a bad deal indeed, though I'm never going to have time to read them.  

One of the books I got was Dune, which I've been meaning to read for years.  It's long, so it'll take me a while to get through on top of Kant, but it so far lives up to the hype.  I think Tolkien and Herbert were kindred spirits, so to speak.  They had entire universes in their head.  

Yesterday afternoon I worked as a cashier.  They had us students working, and also volunteers from the library guild.  I ended up working with an older couple, and they were absolutely lovely.  He apparently had been a journalist by career and had worked in DC during the Vietnam era.  And they'd been to London a number of times, which of course provided a conversation topic.  We had a whole one or two customers, but there was no problem whiling away the time chatting with them.  

Sometimes, it's nice to just sit and talk to the more senior generations.  They've got interesting stories to tell.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home