Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

A list of things on my mind.

1. It's snowing in Santa Fe. As in, right now, snow is falling from the sky. That is so inappropriate.

2. We're reading more Kant for the next three seminars, and I think that my motivation is at an all-time low for seminar.

3. Seminar essays are due a week from next Monday. I'm going to write on Rousseau. My motivation is at a medium-high level, because it gives me something non-Kantian to cling to.

4. I've come to the realization that, while I have an idea of what I'd like to do with my life, I have exactly no idea how to get there. I've worked myself into a ridiculous hole of student debt for a useless degree, and now I need to figure out how to climb out.

4a. Do I regret going to St. John's? No, not really. I believe in education as an end in and of itself, not a means to an end. And I've enjoyed it, and I feel accomplished. Would it have been easier to go someplace else? Uh, yes. Would it have been worth it? I don't know.

4b. If I had to make the college decision over again, but knowing what I do now, would I have gone to St. John's? No. My first choice would've been to put more effort into it and go someplace in the UK. My second choice probably would have been the same, Earlham, where I could've, you know, majored in something.

5. I don't feel like going to work tonight. What I really want to do is curl up in a chair with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book that's not Kant or Flaubert, and just read the night away. Alas, reality has other plans.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home