Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Two scenes

Last night I got on an editing kick. My adviser has this thing about using the verb "to be" and I'm pretty sure he'd like it if I didn't use it at all, ever. I'm not quite good enough to do that, but I was making a good-faith attempt to reduce it, because in many places the language was a bit sloppy. That, plus various other editorial things, were kind of....well. You know how some people can get totally sucked into a video game, or TV series (fine, I do that too with DVDs), or puzzles, or whatever, and you say, aah, it's evening, I'm just going to do this for a bit, and then the next thing you know it's some ungodly hour?

Right.

So I give up on my staring contest with the English language and go to bed way, way later than I should.

My alarm goes off at about 7:15, which leaves me more than enough time to get ready for work, where I belong by 8:30.

Apparently, I woke up enough to turn my alarm off, and then rolled over and went right back to sleep. Something in my brain was still up, though, because I recall then, after some vague amount of time, thinking that maybe I should get up. So I decide to start slow and open my eyes, and then I look at the clock. Which is telling me it's now 8:29.

Anyway, ultimately it wasn't a big deal, because A) work is about thirty seconds out the door and B) my boss really didn't care. But the point is that I was late to my job at a library because I overslept because I stayed up too late playing with grammar, and I think that little vignette serves as my entry into the League of Pathetically Geeky.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home