Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Getting to work today

So first there was some alarm clock trouble, and then some 'I am incapable of ingesting a liquid without spilling all over everything' trouble. I finally got out of the house already late.

The side street I normally take, which cuts through the fairly low-traffic plaza area, was closed. Aargh. So, I turn right instead, am unable to get into the left-turn lane, so I wait it out and do the crosswalk thing. I proceed to get caught behind one of those street-sweepers.

My normal speed while commuting is, I think, about 15 miles an hour. Apparently street-sweepers go at about 13 miles an hour, which takes up so much of the lane and is so wobbly I need to actually get into the left lane to get around him, and I can't find a big enough break that will allow me to. So I hang back to avoid the noxious fumes and dirty spray and wait and wait and wait and wait and finally the light way back behind us changes, so I can sprint past the street sweeper, and while I'm there turn left to get over the block I need to be to get to work.

Then there's a garbage truck! Which I can't get around because it's in the middle of the narrow street! And also there's two cars behind it, and also the little robo-arm that grabs the garbage bins appears to be freaking out; it just keeps raising and slamming back down as the truck sits stationary in the middle of the street.

So instead of my normal ~8 minutes it took me about 15 minutes to get to work, and I was grumpy.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 09:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it seems to me like you have an excuse for everything except the facts. YOU, need to set your alarm to get up earlier. You, need to understand that the world doesn't need to change to suit your needs. IF YOU, ever stopped for a instant to understand that Sweepers and Garbage workers are doing their job keeping the streets cleaned and removing debris YOU might have a little better outlook on life. Why don't YOU volunteer for a few hours at your municipal government and see the other side. YOU might get up a little earlier and not blame others for YOUR falts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home