Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Oh, it's true all right.

They say that college, of course, changes people. This I don't disagree with. I think that some people would say that St. John's changes people perhaps a bit more than a more conventional college: for better or for worse, the combination of the people and the program does something to you. It gets in your head, and there is a definite, tangible change, beyond simply 'grow up and mature between the ages of 18 and 22'.

Example: I just had to do some bookshelf-shuffling. Why? Well, because we don't have enough shelf space because they somehow think that our dinky little three-shelf units will be sufficient, just like having a measly four electrical sockets is enough, and one shower is enough. But I digress. I got back from the library and had to make more room on my bottom shelf, which of course is the "I will likely want to grab this book while sitting at my desk doing homework" shelf. And I realized that dear sweet heaven I've become an unrepentant geek. Amongst the Greek reference books, notebooks, and obscure astronomy texts (note: the Kepler text we're using is neon orange. If I went to high school with you, think C-wing orange), I now have the following: four bibles (King James version, Revised Standard version, the Tanakh, and the "Biblia Sacre: Hebraica et Graeca". Also, the Anchor Bible's seperately-bound copies of both the book of Jonah and Job. Also, a "First Hebrew Primer for Adults", so that I can perhaps benefit from Biblia Sacra: Hebraica et Graeca (part of the introduction of said bible appears to be in German).
All said, I'm very feeling right now like I should just do my seminar essay on Plutarch. Less interesting, but far less intimidating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home