Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

The agony of travel

I'm looking at paying $277 for airfare home for winter break, round-trip. Minimum. If I want to take the train, I can (rather inexplicably, I feel) pay that same amount each way. Or I can save about seventy bucks, and spend two and a half days on a Greyhound bus.

I think that the airline executives, if they insist on charging us this much*, ought to give all the passengers cheesecake. Really, really good cheesecake. Twenty calories of cheesecake per dollar spent on airfare. Terribly unhealthy, but - seriously, I've flown cross-country enough times to know by now that nothing can really make it enjoyable. Cheesecake would help, at least.

*Before anyone jumps on me: I know that the prices aren't exact controlled by the airline execs: oil prices are high, blah blah blah. But seriously: last year I paid half of what I'll pay this year to get home. I'm fairly certain that Mr. CEO of AlwaysLate, NeverSmooth Airline is still raking in just as much of his six (or more?) figure salary as he was last year. To which I say: Everything about the air travel industry in America sucks. I despise air travel and the industry as a whole, and would like to reserve the right to say that absolutely anyone employed by any airline is a poo-head.

That was mature of me, now, wasn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home