Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

I would have majored in procrastinating!

In case this bit from a few days ago wasn't enough to convince you that American schools, in general, are obscenely bad at what they're supposed to do, check out the lastest wackiness from Florida: forcing high school freshmen to declare majors. In my little corner of reality, incoming freshmen are, what, 14? When I was a freshman in high school, I was certain I wanted to go into journalism after getting a degree from a big university on the east coast. Four years later I graduated and went to study philosophy at an extremely tiny school in New Mexico. A year and a half after that, I'm not in school and moving (temporarily) to Europe in a month, and I'm fairly sure I don't want to go into journalism, but rather law or politics (or both). In my opinion (as someone who was 14 not terribly long ago), the average high school freshman doesn't really know what they want to do next weekend, let alone what they want to focus on academically for the next four years of their life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home