Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

On a rainy day, odd things can happen

I went to the semi-annual used-book sale at the library today. Library sales are, in my opinion, like pure uncut crack for bibliophiles. They had what looked like a complete set of the Harvard Classics. At two bucks a piece for hardcover books, it would've been a hundred bucks, but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't tempted. Who doesn't want five feet of their bookshelves to be dedicated to that?

But I'd gone up there with ten bucks in my wallet and was dead-set on spending that, at most. I spent eight dollars (six paper, one cloth), and must say I felt mildly proud at my restraint.

On the way home, I was stopped at a traffic light and watched the rain-spattered local highway traffic go by. A truck, bearing an 'oversized load' banner cruised on past. It was a big flatbed truck and for the most part, was empty. On the very back of the truck bed, firmly strapped down and looking entirely incongruous, was something not dissimilar from this. It was undecorated, of course, and minus the surrounding brick patio and lush gardens, but it was a stricking white, black-roofed gazebo., making its merry way through the sludgy March weather of New Jersey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home