Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I am vindicated!

To those who scoff at the St. John's program, to those who question the utility of studying great books for four years: Ha! To those who wonder what one can do with an utterly useless degree: I present an excerpt from the cover story of this week's Newsweek:
Indeed, since 9/11, Cheney has struck a pose more familiar to readers of Greek tragedies than the daily Hotline. At times, he appears to be the lonely leader, brooding in his tent, knowing that doom may be inevitable, but that the battle must be fought, and that glory can be eternal.
I knew I never liked Achilleus! I knew it! Dick Cheney is Achilleus!

Forgive me if my reaction seems a bit too enthusiastic than the situation really calls for. But I'm rather starved for intellectual stimulation out here in the real world, and I get psyched whenever I see a classic referenced in mainstream entertainment. This author gets bonus points for not rubbing it in our faces: Look! Greek literature reference! See? See, I'm talking about Achilleus in The Odyssey! Look how smart I am!

And that pretty much sums up my excitement for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home