Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Boundries? What are they?

Another case of school districts shoving their noses in places where their noses ought not to be: now you can't talk about 'illegal or inappropriate' behavior outside of school, online.

Sure, anything published online is by definition expected to be public (with the possible exception of password-protected sites and things like friends-only LJ entries). This doesn't mean that the school has the right to hold something a student writes and posts outside of school against that student. Keep in mind this is not a private school, but public.

Obviously I can't say for certain about this, but here's my interpretation of this new policy: Say I'm a student in the ironically-named Libertyville. I'm not, but say I am. Say I also play soccer for the school. In order to play soccer, the district tells me that I have to sign a piece of paper saying I will conduct myself a certain way, including online. Sure, I sign it, because I want to play soccer. A few weeks later, I find a great directory of torrents online, so I put a link to that site in my LiveJournal or blog and say, "Hey, check out this great site - free movies!" Two days later, acting on a tip from a "concerned parent" the school administration comes and...well, presumably there's not a very happy ending for me.

Personally, I don't like this trend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home