Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"When I was the president's husband..."

Hillary Clinton is problematic for me.

I really feel like I ought to like her, because she really infuriates the far right. I'm not entirely certain why they get so pissed off at her existence, but they do. Generally, things that anger the far right (gay marriage, freedom of [including from] religion, evolution, common sense) are things I'm very strongly for.

Other than Hillary.

I don't like her based primarily on her politics. I wish I was a strong enough person to solely judge political candidates based on that, but alas, I am a weak and fleshy human. I dislike her general attitude, and I dislike her constant reliance on hyping the other Clinton. Why?

After some thought I think I've figured it out: it's demeaning to herself. She's illuminating her political goals and accomplishments in someone else's light, so to speak. Her experience, however great or limited it may be, should be her political experience. It should not be "what I watched my husband do" or even "what I helped my husband do." It's hard enough for a woman to gain respect in politics: I think Clinton's just making it harder for herself by highlighting that she got her start as a hanger-on.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home