Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Seminar, I love you.

I felt overwhelmingly 'meh' about seminar for most of this semester.  Why?  Kant, mostly.  Kant and I are not friends.  I don't understand Kant and quite honestly, I'm okay with that.  I'm pretty sure that if I did understand him I wouldn't like him any more.  So seminar and I have been kind of drifting apart this semester.

Now I want to buy seminar flowers and chocolates and take it out to dinner and stuff.  (Note: not my actual seminar as in the people in it.)  Why?  A couple reasons:
1.  The Scarlet Letter is an amazing, incredible book.  I got a hint of it with Shakespeare last year, but I'd still been waiting to revisit something we read in high school and have it be a different book.  That very much didn't happen with Austen (she's still boring).  Rereading Hawthorne, then discussing it, then reading it again and discussing it again was like intellectual heroin or something.  Holy crap: how did I possibly hate this book in high school?  (I know; I hated everything.)
2.  Adam Smith.  It's dry, and I'd never read economics if I were left to my own devices.  But I'm so glad I read it - he's not at all what I thought he was.
3.  And now we start the serious joy.  For Thursday, we read the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and start the Federalist Papers.  I'm very very very excited about this.  There is no possible way seminar will be anything but awesome, because those are some of the most amazing documents ever penned.
4.  To round the year out, our last two seminars are on Huckleberry Finn.  If I'm not already filled with warm fuzzies from the Federalist papers, a good dose of Mark Twain will pick me up.  

Hell, I'm even feeling good about math right now.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home