Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, March 04, 2010

My thoughts on a very important issue

I finally gave in and watched (both!) trailers for the unholy remake of The Karate Kid that they're doing (seriously - Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi? That just...doesn't work for me).

I like the part where it's now set in China. I really like the part where one of the lines in the trailer for The KARATE Kid is "I will teach you kung fu."

Let's ignore the minor linguistic issues which make it fairly unlikely that a native of Beijing would say that (as opposed to "I'll teach you Wushu). And obviously, the actual 'martial arts' in the movie are going to be very silly. But presumably there was some advisor somewhere who knew something about martial arts. I wonder if this individual even bothered to point out that kung fu is not karate? Really. I promise. Ask either the Japanese or the Chinese - or any student of either art - and they will tell you. They are in fact two very distinct arts, each with a myriad of styles.

So...yeah.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home