Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

A list of some brief moments of culture shock I've had

1. Every time I'm on a bus that makes a right turn.
2. When I was at the National Museum in Dublin and got a soda in the cafe there. The soda dispenser was self-serve, but there was no ice dispenser. I had to ask for some.
3. The first day I worked 9-5, and when I was walking around after work, all the shops were starting to close.
4. Having changed my blog's location on SiteMeter, someone from Istanbul is now considerably closer to me than someone in Massachusetts.
5. I had to search a shelf to find peanut butter at a grocery store. There were a dozen varieties of Nutella, but only three types of peanut butter.
6. At a wildlife preserve I went to recently, there were several different school groups, despite it being rainy all day. I realized that in a country with far more rainy days than sunny, field trips are probably cancelled a lot less often. (note: I am still bitter about a certain field trip that got cancelled when I was in sixth grade.)
7. The Irish equivelant of Public Broadcasting (RTE) broadcasts church bells every day at six PM.
8. There are churches. Everywhere.
9. Google knows I'm in Ireland.
10. You can pretty much drive cross-country in a day. On the weather on TV, the entire country is sometimes obscured completely by clouds in the radar view. Also, Europe is on the same map.
11. There aren't any skyscrapers. There are, however, impressively tall buildings that were built hundreds of years ago.
12. You don't get a free glass of water in restaurants.
13. I was out one day and, on a whim, looked in a few shops for a coffee machine. None were to be found.
14. "White coffee".
15. Pubs. Social life seems to revolve around them.
16. Cities are small and in that sense, walkable. Confusing to walk, but as my flatmate pointed out, that's because pretty much every city and large town in Ireland is close to, if not more than, a thousand years old.
17. My groceries the other day came to fifteen-something euro. I paid with a twenty and only got coins in return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home