Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Friday, June 29, 2007

It goes 'ding' when there's stuff

Despite not being particularly thrilled with Mr. Gordon Brown, I'm feeling rather chummy towards the Brits right now. Not that I often feel particularly antagonistic towards them, what with the wanting to be British myself and all, but anyway.

For one - I've been watching some Doctor Who recently. It's one of those shows that's hit-or-miss. Sometimes it's just unintentionally silly, sometimes it's pretty crap. Then every once in a while there's an episode that, upon first viewing, is completely outstanding. I'm referring to the relatively recent episode Blink, which if nothing else, had the creepiest damn low-budget monsters I have ever seen. Spoilers, in case anyone's a Who fan but hasn't seen it yet: Stone angels that are only stone when you're looking at them. They send you into the past to live our your life ("the only psychopaths who kill you nicely"), and feed off the life you would have otherwise had (they "let you live to death"). Psychologically, this is absolutely brilliant, because you see a scary monster and what do you want to do? Hide. Turn around and run away. Stop looking at it. But in this case, you can't, and I find that horrifyingly genius.


Anyway, fictional monsters aside, the Brits today also prevented themselves from getting blown up again. Not only that, but it looks like they've done so in a remarkably calm and stereotypically British fashion. All I have to say on that is (if I may): "Well done, chaps".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home