Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Windows OS X

Today I fired up the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X, and within an hour had Windows XP installed on my computer.  That's neat, and it was incredibly easy.  There also were no problems in activating XP, which I was afraid there might be, for reasons untold.  So, if there's some bizarre reason why I absolutely must used Word or Excel or something in the future, I'm set.  Plus, I don't lose the two bits of software I've ever actually paid money for.  One is just a nice little puzzle game I like.  

The other is a nice little program that runs in the background and basically unlocks DVDs you put in: it somehow makes whatever region code irrelevant, and it also re-allows any 'User Operation Prohibitions'.  You know how when you play a DVD, it more often than not forces you to sit and watch through the FBI warning and studio logos or whatever crap?  This, using a combination of pixie dust and unicorn hair, undoes those prohibitions, and it makes me thrilled.  They've since raised the prices, but I would still highly, highly recommend AnyDVD from Slysoft.  

Whether or not it's legal here in the US is really, in my eyes, utterly irrelevant.  I legally purchased a DVD, and I legally purchased a device that advertises itself as able to play DVDs.  For the big companies involved to tell me that I can't use those two legally purchased items together for my own private amusement is really unjustifiable.  

Anyway, so OS X will be my 'native' region, if only because I've got more R1 discs.  If I want to watch a R2 movie, I'll just pop over to Windows and watch it there.  

Have I mentioned that I absolutely love love love my new computer?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home