Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Guess where I wish I was?

I'm reading London: A Biography by Peter Ackroyd (and I highly recommend it).  In the very beginning there is a chronology.  

It spans from 54 BC to 2000 AD.  The first entry, the 54 AD entry?  It is later explained that there's already a significant settlement where London now is.  

If I had to pick a city that simply is, a place that exists outside of time and human limitation, it's London.  I remember walking through the streets of London and it's walking through history.  Here's a building that was rebuilt after being demolished in WWII, in WWI.  Here's a church that was first built a thousand years ago.  Here's where Chaucer lived.  Here's where Shakespeare's plays were performed.  Here's where kings were crowned and then beheaded, where prisoners were kept for saying no to that king.  Over there was where the fire that destroyed most of the city started.  London scoffs in the face of chronological boundaries.  

The great thing about it, I think, the reason why I love it so much and felt so comfortable there, was I was just one of literally countless people in my situation there.  People have fled to New York City - to find fame and fortune, to just find a living, to find themselves, to find a lover, to find something they don't even know what - for hundreds of years.  People have fled to London for thousands.  London has seen it, done it, and absorbed a tiny part of it, over and over and over again, for longer than anyone can really grasp.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home