Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Further

I'm increasingly convinced that the absolute only reason that anyone took Marx's economic and political theories remotely seriously were twofold:
1. Fear over the changes that the industrial revolution brought. Humans, being the stupidest successful species ever, tend to have a demented fear of Change. Marx said, "No, you're totally right, you're not being fulfilled as a person if you're not out farming and growing your own food." He did everything he could to legitimize the ridiculous discontent at the changes in society.
2. That argument nicely set up, he just pointed and said, "Look! The Capitalist! You're not happy? It's because of him!"

Et voila - not only do people have their baseless dissatisfaction justified, but they have what everyone really wants, a scapegoat. He's brilliant with his language, but Marx isn't anything more than a talented sophist.

In other news, after having gotten a rejection letter from Grad School A yesterday, I was really pissed when I got a skinny letter from Grad School B (by far my top choice) today. "I was fine yesterday, but I don't think I can handle two rejections in a row, so I'm not going to open this until this evening, after seminar," says I.

Turns out it was just a note saying they have my complete application and I should get an acceptance or rejection within a month.

Also in the mail was a letter to all the seniors from the Dean which began along the lines of "Now that you've been notified that your senior essay has been accepted..." Which would be great. If we'd gotten notice about whether our essays have been accepted or not yet, but we haven't. So, as always, good job college administration!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home