Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Apparently, I'm missing something

Yesterday I went to the Social Welfare Office, to try to apply for a PPS number, which is the Irish equivilant of a Social Security number. I waited a bit, then when my number was up, was informed that a letter saying I'm living where I am isn't enough; I also needed a bill or something in the letter-writer's name.

Fine. I go home, I get a bill, I go back this morning. I fill out the form, show them my passport, my drivers license, my Garda ID, my work permit, the letter, and the bill. They contemplate those things, I pass their inspection, and a letter with my number will be mailed to me within about seven days.

Excellent.

Next stop: a Bank of Ireland branch to try to open an account. It's mostly an arbitrary choice: there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in banks for my purposes, other than the Bank of Ireland seems to have a substantial presence in the UK as well. So, in a go, wait for a bit, get up to the counter, give the woman some ID and paperwork, and...nope.

It seems that, in order to open a bank account, I need something official addressed to me - a utility bill or my PPS letter. The bill not in my name and the letter saying I live there is not enough.

"But, I just applied for my PPS number this morning, and they accepted this as proof of address," I plead.

"I'm sorry, it's the law," the benevolent banking dictator says. "Come back when you've gotten the letter with your PPS number."

I blink a few times, uncertain as to whether or not she might be joking. "But I just used these documents to get my PPS number," I again protest.

She won't have it, though. Apparently, the documents required to get a PPS number are not equal to such, and I'll have to try again next week.

Aargh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home