Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Employment, oh joy!

For practice this will be written using the proper Irish terms for things to the greatest of my abilities.

Timeline of events:
  • Spent Monday mostly doing the tourist thing in Cork and Blarney. Find a cheap webcafe Monday evening; shoot my CV off to various temp agencies and whatnot. Also send out a few emails about potential non-hostel living accomodations: short-term bedsits and people looking for flatmates.
  • Spent Tuesday walking around Cork in shoes I am not used to walking in, rubbing blisters in my heels and handing my CV in to anyplace that is recruiting. Finally go back to the hostel to rest a bit and watch some Buffy, which always makes everything better. Get a call on my mobile from a temp agency: they want to know if I can go by in half an hour to interview and fill out forms as they have something for me tomorrow. I go, fill out the forms, get a job.
  • Go to check my email Tuesday evening. Get another call from a guy looking for a flatmate. Schedule to meet with him tomorrow evening.
  • Wake up very early this morning, try to find someplace to buy a cup of coffee, fail and settle for a can of Red Bull from a newsagent. Take the bus into Ballincollig and spend the day sorting and filing papers in a small office.
  • Mid-morning, get another call from another temp agency, arrange to go in and talk to them on Monday.
  • Take the bus back to Cork, meet Potential Roommate (who would also in fact be the landlord). Hope I don't come across as too American or anything.
  • Go back to webcafe, continue looking for potential places to live.
So, the score is: One week overseas, a good possibility of steady non-retail work, and a good chance of finding a non-hostel place to live within a week or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home