Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Sunday, May 02, 2010

My nerd thoughts on Doctor Who, let me tell you them. (Spoilers)

I have finally watched both The End Of Time and The Eleventh Hour, and will be finishing my Who catch-up tonight. Spoilers ahoy!

So far I'm kind of lukewarm on Matt Smith's Doctor, but I was a big Tennant fan, so he's got some mighty big shoes to fill. His characterization seemed a little bit rough in The Eleventh Hour - but the terribly devious thing about Doctor Who is that, well, yes, he's in a sense a brand new person, so they have an in-universe excuse for it.

Amy seems like she'll be a decent enough companion, though there's kind of too many shades of both Rose Tyler and Donna Noble - she's a little bit dumb, working some stupid dead-end job, crappy/no family, etc. But I did grow to like Donna, and I'm willing to wait a bit before judging. I did really hope that she was actually a police officer, just because that would've been an interesting change, and I think it could've gone some amusing places. But oh well.

If someone could please explain to me the part where Martha married Mickey Smith, that would be great, because - what?

I [i]love[/i] the new Tardis. I will miss the old, more busted-up appearance, but as soon as I saw the spinny thing on the control panel and the hot and cold water taps I was in love. Sexy thing, indeed.

The Doctor's eagerness to have Amy join on struck me as kind of weird, because remember when he really was hesitant about letting his prior two companions on? Yes? Well, apparently he's not, and if that means we never hear a damn thing with him mooning over Rose Tyler again, I'll be pretty damn happy.

Prisoner Zero and the whoever aliens were pretty good monsters of the week - the part with the little girls in the hospital was surprisingly effective. Apparently Steven Moffat is now the writer and Russell T Davies is gone - which is good, because Davies gave us all sorts of mediocre-at-best episodes, and Moffat gave us goodies like The Girl in The Fireplace and Blink (which I still maintain is one of the best television episodes ever). So plot-wise, I'm feeling pretty optimistic, and I have a feeling that Moffat will also do good things with the characterization.

Did I mention that I love the new Tardis? And my god how much do I want to see the Tardis's library?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home