Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Frustrations

1. Missed the bus this morning, which means I walked to the tube station at 6:45 AM for no reason. Grumpy? Me? Nah.

2. Sorting out all the financial/housing/etc crap about returning to St. Johns would be a lot easier if I weren't seven bloody time zones away. Normally if I have to make an important phone call or something, I say, "Okay, I will do that first thing in the morning." Regrettably, "first thing in the morning" here is somewhere around 2:00 in the morning there. So, e-mail it is. Not as fast, but it saves me from sitting there listening to the phone ringing three dozen times, wondering why no one's in the office on a Monday morning.

3. Does anyone actually doubt that McCain will get the Republican nod for 08? The slamming they just took pretty much cements that they'll go with someone a bit more moderate (eg, not a psychopath). And I have no doubt that John McCain will beat anyone who the Democrats put up. So far, the only remotely impressive Democrat who looks hopeful is Obama. While I really like him and he seems refreshingly honest, he's inexperienced, and putting him across from McCain will only magnify that.

Don't get me wrong: Probably of all senators, if not all politicians in general, I respect McCain the most. I respected him a lot more before he backed down on the torture issue, but he's still one of those rarities that cares about the issues, not the party. I don't agree with him on a lot of those issues, but I certainly respect that he knows what he's doing and does what he feels is right.

Still, though. I can't shake the terrible feeling that the 08 race is going to end up being between a McCain/whoever ticket and a Clinton/whoever ticket, in which case, why bother campaigning? The republicans can just send Hillary a "thanks for handing us the presidency" card and walk in.


Not an annoyance: using the new beta version of Blogger, the comment notification email not only tells you what post is being commented on, but gives you both a direct link to the commenter's Blogger profile, but also a direct link to the commented post. Nice.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home