Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Things of interest, interest in things

I have this kind of perpetually changing list of "things that I don't know much about but think maybe may be interesting but not enough to really seek out information, unless I'm bored or just stumble across something on that topic in which case I'll take a look and see if it's interesting or not." This is a widely varied list (a great shock, I'm sure, to anyone who's ever met me) and currently includes topics such as cholera, the history of tea in the western world, whether the local train is diesel or what, and historical dentistry (don't ask).

It turns out that another item on this list was cricket - the sport, not the insects (which freak me the hell out). I saw a passing mention of a cricket and said, "The extent of my knowledge about this sports is 'flat bats' and 'it's played in an oval I think?' Perhaps I shall use the internet to educate myself."

Conclusions:
1. Apparently you can write out cricket scores as fractions.
2. I still really understand nothing about the sport.
3. Perhaps it's my cultural bias and ignorance, but cricket seems to be the stupidest damn sport ever. I reached that conclusion when Wikipedia informed me that a particular fielding position (which isn't always in the same place or something?) is referred to as the "silly mid on". It's like no one is even trying.
4. Cricket is, however, a sport which could be dramatically improved by adding one hungry grizzly bear per game. There aren't many sports I think that about (ice dancing is another that comes to mind), but cricket definitely belongs on the list.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home