Classical Spin

Rantings and ravings on politics, philosophy, and things that fall into the ether of 'none of the above'.

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Ah, for the simple days of alien invasions

I'm working at this church, and one of my responsibilities at work is to put together the "order of service" - the little 'program' handed out every Sunday morning that tells people what songs and hymns are being sung and who's singing and so on and so forth. People email me all that information, I pretty it up and print it out.

Of course the theme this Sunday will be, well, the fourth of July. People will speak about patriots and revolutionaries from within this church and there'll be lots of terrible patriotic songs and so on. I got it early this week - I don't normally until Friday - and so I'm taking my time with it, trying to make it readable and, most importantly, hunting for some nice patriotic clip-art for the cover. It's printed brochure-style, on a legal-sized piece of paper folded in half, and the front page has the name of the church and the date and the ministers name and so on, and some vaguely-thematic picture.

So, to Google I go! "Fourth of July" gives me lots of animated GIFs and pictures of hot dogs, which aren't really doing anything for me. I tweak my search terms. I get a sudden thrill of joy...before the cold knowledge of reality smacks me down.

It probably would not be appropriate to put the movie poster from the film Independence Day - either the version which depicts a giant alien spaceship blowing up New York City, or the version which depicts a giant alien spaceship blowing up the White House - on the cover of this. Will Smith sitting on top of a smaller alien space ship smoking a cigar, having just punched an alien in the face and shouted "Welcome to Earth!", is probably also inappropriate.

Inappropriate - especially considering that the average age in this congregation is, like, 80 - yet oh so very tempting.

ETA: Further things which are probably inappropriate: Captain America, a derogatory map of "the world according to America", a picture of Mickey Mouse saluting a flag, Obama with a Hitler mustache, an image of the Twin Towers superimposed on an American Flag, an image of fireworks with the words "Armed citizens used assault weapons to fight tyrannical and oppressive government", a rather attractive young lady wearing tight-fitting jeans and an American-flag-print bikini top throwing up a peace sign while standing in a wheat field, a picture of Mario reaching the end of a level and bringing down the American flag next to the castle, an attractive young woman wearing *only* an American flag, a dog dressed as a WWII-era soldier in front of an American flag, and a kitten in an American-flag hammock. Internet = weird.

Second edit: Also, while it is vaguely thematic in that it has the Liberty Bell on it, it would probably be frowned upon if I used the Phillies' logo.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home